R.C. Shea & Associates, Counsellors at Law
Phone:
732-505-1212
Tollfree:
Manchester Area:
Brick Area:
732-451-0800

Concerns with traffic fatalities rates

As a general trend in urbanization continues, the rates in some categories of traffic fatalities have increased as well, which would be of interest to drivers in many New Jersey urban areas. Of some concern is the very slight decrease in traffic fatalities overall as well as the higher increase in pedestrian and cyclist fatalities.

Although the percentage of people becoming victims of personal injury due to traffic accidents has decreased significantly since the 1960s and after the use of seatbelts became mandatory, 2015 saw an increase in fatalities for the first time in decades. However, 2017 and 2018 brought about minor decreases of 2% and 1%, respectively. While this rate remains stabilized, the National Highway Traffic Safety Association does remain concerned with the risks to pedestrians and cyclists, which have increased, particularly in urban areas.

In fact, the NHTSA predicted a four percent increase in pedestrian fatalities and a 10% increase in deaths involving cyclists in 2018. A reason given for the increase is a greater number of people continue to move into urban areas. In 2017, 16% of all traffic-related deaths were pedestrian deaths, which was a significant increase from 12% in 2009. And while the number of traffic deaths overall has held steady, it has increased in urban areas. Additionally, while deaths inside vehicles dropped from 80% in 1996 to 67% in 2017, the remaining 33% of traffic-related deaths included those of cyclists, pedestrians and motorcycle riders.

Victims of personal injury due to traffic accidents might be entitled to compensation for injuries and damages. They might also seek the assistance of a personal injury lawyer who may be able to review their case and help them file a claim for damages.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact R.C. Shea & Associates, Counsellors At Law

Call our Toms River office at 732-505-1212, our Manchester office at 732-408-WILL (9455), our Brick office at 732-451-0800, or call us toll free at 800-556-SHEA (7432). You can also contact our firm online.

What Our Clients Say

"My husband and I needed to work with a lawyer due to the tragic loss of our daughter in a car accident. We chose Bob Shea & Assoc. What a good decision that was." 

read more
email us for a response

Contact R.C. Shea & Associates

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information
disclaimer.

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

close

Privacy Policy

R.C. Shea & Associates, Counsellors at Law
244 Main Street
Toms River, NJ 08754

Toll Free: 800-556-SHEA (7432)
Phone: 732-573-6370
Phone: 732-505-1212
Fax: 732-505-1954
Map & Directions

Phone:
732-505-1212
Tollfree:
Manchester Area:
Brick Area:
732-451-0800